Day 431: Need to work around the tiredness

I don’t know why I’m not getting a lot of sleep each night, but it happened again. Strangely, my brain doesn't feel all that tired. However, my IBS is acting up a little bit too, maybe because of the lack of sleep, so I’m not feeling 100%, but I’m not feeling like death warmed over, either.

Like yesterday, I got up a little too early to be able to exercise first thing after I got up, but yesterday, even though I did my writing first, I did manage to exercise when it got bright enough. I hope to do the same thing today and make sure I do my exercise despite the fact I can’t do it first thing. I don’t quite trust myself to always have the discipline to exercise later in my day, but if I make the effort, I can usually get myself to do it if it’s only once or twice. Yeah, I totally suck at self-discipline and I absolutely don’t trust myself.

I’m still blocking book 4. I’m realizing my expanded synopsis was kind of vague at some points because I’m having to rework the synopsis and add a lot more detail in order to make the scenes flow well. Yesterday I spent some time waffling and finally decided to add an extra scene and completely revamp the original scene I was blocking. For my books 2 and 3 in this series, I spent 43 and 48 hours blocking, but for book 4, I’ve already spent 42 hours blocking and I’m only at about the 2/3 or 3/4 mark of the book. The rest of the scenes in the synopsis might not be quite as vague as some of the scenes I’ve been struggling with more recently, so I might finish blocking within 50 hours, but I have a feeling it will take more like 60. I guess I’ll wait and see.

***

UGH I decided to do my daily email check before going to exercise and I got caught up in re-organizing my folders so they’re not so unwieldy, and ended up taking much longer than I should have. I forgot to set a timer!

The good thing is that I did manage to exercise even though I didn’t do it first thing, so at least I had the self-discipline to make myself do that.

***

After exercise, I got a really bad IBS flareup that kind of took me out of commission for about an hour or so. it’s still a little uncomfortable, so I don’t know how much writing I’ll get done today, but I’m really going to try to get a full day’s work in.

On a slightly unrelated note, I was surfing Amazon to try to get my mind off my stomach, and found this really cute Japanese noren (cloth doorway curtain), which I bought for the doorway to my office. I close the office door in wintertime, but during the summer I keep it open so the room doesn’t get too hot. A curtain will help husband remember not to bother me when I’m working.

***

The IBS is better, but it seemed to have really sapped my energy because I suddenly felt very tired. It doesn’t help that I’m trying to block a new scene that hadn’t been in my synopsis, so I’m building it from scratch. It just seems to have a lot of decisions I need to make about it.

I think that since I haven’t been sleeping well lately, I need to try to work around this, at least until my sleep schedule improves.

I know I need to get my “frogs” done first or they won’t get done, but I’ve been waking up too early to be able to exercise first thing. So for now, I’ll have to do my other “frogs” and try to make sure I do my exercise later. I’ve been setting alarms to remind me when to go exercise. It worked for yesterday, but I had forgotten to set the alarm today. However, I still managed to exercise. I just need to remember to set my alarm, so I set for it to recur every day until I turn it off.

Getting up so early also means there are some house chores I can’t do until later after my husband wakes up. Unfortunately, home chores are one of my “frogs,” and when I leave them for later they often don’t yet done. Today was no exception, since I became too tired to do them. However, I don’t know any way around this. The thing is, not doing the chores for a week won’t turn the house into an instant pigsty, so I think I”ll just let this go for now. I’ll try to do my chores later in the day, but if I don’t, I think it’ll be okay. I’ll revisit this issue next week if I’m still having sleep problems.

I’m going to reduce my Japanese study time a little also, so that I can get to my writing work sooner. That way I can get writing done while I still have the energy. I seem to be flagging about 12 hours after I wake up, so if I can get a full 6 hours of writing done before that point, I think I’ll be more productive and efficient. It will help that I’m not doing chores and exercise first thing, but I need to really make an effort to deliberately start work quickly after my Japanese, and also perhaps to cut my breakfast and lunch times way down so I can do as much writing as I can while I’m not as tired. I might try eating at my desk.

I’m not sure if these tactics will work, but I have to try something, because I got so few hours of work done today, and the last hour or so wasn’t very efficient or productive since I was so exhausted. Granted, I did spend too much time on my email today, and my IBS issues also might have sapped my energy. These tactics won’t mean anything if I’m derailed by distractions or my health again. I’ll need to really make the effort to remember to set my timers and alarms so that they can jar me out of it if I get distracted again, and hopefully my IBS issues will fade since I’ve started an even MORE bland diet this past week.

Outlining: time spent: 0

Blocking: time spent: 2 hours, 42 minutes

Editing: Time spent: 0

Writing: Time spent: 0

Writing: Total number of words: n/a

Writing: Overall writing speed: n/a

Time spent doing other writing-related business: 1 hour, 49 minutes

My takeaway for today: Since I’m not getting sleep, I need to work around my tiredness until my sleep schedule settles. Set a recurring alarm to remind me to exercise. Let chores go undone if I’m too tired to get to them later, revisit issue next week. Cut Japanese and eating times down as much as possible to try to get full 6 hours of writing done before I get tired. Remember to set alarms to jar me out of distractions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 91: Evaluation 3