Day 671: 150 day writing streak!


I don’t usually blog on Sundays, but today marks 150 consecutive days where I’ve written at least the bare minimum on my manuscript every day!

I usually only write the bare minimum (100 words or 5 minutes) on Sundays, and lately I’ve only done the bare minimum on days I was working on our taxes. I will also do the bare minimum even if I feel sick that day, although lately I’ve been getting a better handle on my IBS and so I’ve been able to take medication and wait out the pain until it’s manageable, and then do a regular amount of work.

Doing only 100 words a day doesn’t really do all that much to increase my word count and help me finish the book, especially since I want to release several books a year. But keeping the story at the forefront of my mind has been very helpful for me to dive right back into the story the next day I feel better. Before, when I didn’t write on days I felt sick, I had to waste too much time re-reading what I’d written before to get my head back into the story world and the scene. Now, I can skip that, so my writing time has become more efficient.

Keeping a writing streak while battling a chronic illness has been challenging, and I’ve had to lower my expectations for daily word counts and learn patience in dealing with discomfort. I have a low pain threshold, so when I feel bad, the last thing I want to think about is doing work, but I’ve learned to just wait it out and eventually I’ll feel well enough to be able to get some work done later that day, despite how badly the day may have started, or even if I suddenly got a flare-up in the middle of the day.

I’m also currently practicing and training to be able to focus more intently for longer periods. I think this is the key to greater productivity and putting more books out. If I can get more work done in less time by concentrating more intensely, that will make up for the fact that my body’s weaknesses (and my family responsibilities) don’t allow me a full 8 hour workday like when I was working in biology work.

Right now, I get tired if I concentrate for more than 3 hours a day, but I’m hoping to increase that amount of time to 5 hours, by daily practice and training.

Today is Sunday, so I am only going to do the bare minimum of writing and blocking today.

Regency series:

Editing: Time spent: 11 minutes

Writing: Time spent: 11 minutes

Writing: Total number of words: 128 words

Writing streak: 150 days

Blocking: time spent: 19 minutes

Blocking streak: 144 days

Hawaii series:

Outlining: time spent: 0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 91: Evaluation 3