Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Today was my writing Sabbath so I didn’t do any writing today, but I spent a lot of time doing writing-related things. I did some blogging, and I also reviewed my writing To Do list. I cleaned it up by checking off what’s been done, deleting what I no longer need to do, and making note of what I need to do this coming week.

Before I started bullet journaling (in an electronic journal app, Day One Journal), I had my To Do lists in a couple different places and I’d usually forget things I needed to do. Now I have them in my bullet journal, which combines journaling with task organizer, and I’m less likely to forget. I still set reminders for myself in my phone, but since I’m using my journal throughout the day every day, I’m more likely to see things I need to do.

I found some of my old To Do lists today and incorporated some things in my bullet journal. One of them was my writing Surrender Statement, which is a prayer I pray before starting each day’s work.

What’s a Surrender Statement? It’s a combination prayer and positive self-talk. I admit I got the idea from from the book Never Say Diet: Make Five Decisions and Break the Fat Habit for Good by Chantel Hobbs. I didn’t actually lose weight, but the Surrender Statement she uses ended up being a really good writing tool for me.

My Writing Surrender Statement reminds me to humble myself before God, and it also reminds me what my goals and motivations are.

Here it is:

Surrender Statement
Today I surrender to You, God. I will take advantage of the time and place you have given to me. I have the job I’ve always wanted! I will be self-disciplined. I will be faithful in my time with You, God, and in writing what You want me to write. I will be intensely creative because that’s how You made me. I will focus on writing a message that You will be proud of and that You can use to reach women who don’t know You.

I had forgotten about it, so I’m glad I found it again! I want to make it part of my writer’s ritual before I start work each day.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 91: Evaluation 3