Revamping Patreon

I went to a conference last week and praise the Lord! my IBS didn't act up at all while I was there. Of course, I was downing digestive enzymes like they were candy, so that probably helped.

I thought I'd have more intestinal issues after I got back from the conference, but surprisingly, my bouts of pain and nausea haven't been too bad, not enough to prevent me from working for very long.

I kept up my dictation streak while at the conference, although in hindsight, I probably should have just decided not to write during the days of the conference and during the travel days. However, since I was dictating into my phone, it was very easy to just whip out my phone and dictate for 5 minutes in order to keep up my streak. It's a lot easier than using a voice recorder and then taking the time to feed it into Dragon on my computer, although it's not quite as accurate.

I finally got Dragon installed on my computer, but I haven't set up my profile yet since I want to set it up right. I bought Scott Baker's course on Dragon dictation and he lays out a method to adjust your settings and train the profile for maximum accuracy, and I need time to get that done.

I've honestly been pretty stressed because I couldn't verify my sending domain for camytang.com. I followed the instructions for ConvertKit, and then I couldn't log into iPower.com for some reason. But I managed to get on iPower help chat and tried logging in with a different browser, and the help guy said I needed to switch my nameserver. That finally worked and ConvertKit verified my sending domain, so I switched the nameserver back (which I hope won't ruin my VSD).

I've also been thinking about switching up my Patreon, especially since Patreon retired the "per creation" tier. I've considered copying what Tao Wong does and posting my rough draft chapters on my Patreon so my patrons get to read ahead. It means I'd need to change my Patreon to a Subscription model, which scares me a little. I don't know if anyone would want to subscribe in order to read my current book ahead of publication.

But if I did have an obligation to my Patreon to post 1 or 2 chapters of my books each week, it would definitely push me to produce every week. I would have to make sure I wrote at least 1 chapter every week.

I am considering this because I've been finding it a lot easier to write via dictation. I think I mentioned this before, but I am able to dictate when my energy is highest, and then edit the dictation when I'm feeling more tired, which I think is the more efficient use of my energy.

Today, my total writing speed wasn't all that high. I dictated for about 2 hours 10 minutes, and edited for about 2 hours 20 minutes. My writing speed when dictating was 1500 words per hour, but after the editing time is factored in, my writing speed was around 750 words per hour.

Still, I wasn't quite as tired from 4.5 hours of writing as I would have been if I'd been typing, because the actual dictation was only about 2 hours. And I don't have to expend as much energy when I am doing the editing. Anyway, all that to say that I got a chapter done today, and I had gotten a (short) chapter done yesterday.

I also think that it's okay if I try this new Patreon system for 6 months, just to see how it goes. If it's terrible, I can always stop.

I guess I should just try it and see if anyone wants to subscribe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 91: Evaluation 3