Day 746: Procrastinating work with work

I admit that this morning, I procrastinated work with other work. It’s easier to procrastinate with work that I’ll eventually have to do anyway, although it wasn’t particularly urgent, it was just a particular blog post that I’ve been wanting to do for a while now. I didn’t have anything else more urgent to do for my marketing work for today, but this particular blog post just took a while to do when I should have stopped after 15 or 20 minutes and finished it over the course of several days rather than all in one day. But I didn’t want to stop my inertia (momentum?) and just kept at it until it was done.

I’m torn about how I feel about my procrastination today. On the one hand, I should have had more discipline and stopped myself after a certain amount of time so I could finish it another time. Because I kept at it, it took an extra hour of time that I could have spent working on my Regency.

On the other hand, it was work that did need to be done eventually. And stopping to pick it up again later would mean that next time, I’d have to take a few minutes to figure out where I stopped and where I need to pick up again, which is just inefficient. There’s also the fact that I could just not do marketing tomorrow and Monday in order to make up for the time I took today.

I decided to not do marketing tomorrow and Monday to make up for it. It doesn’t address my lack of discipline, but the reality is that marketing is a necessity and I will need to devote time to it. Most of the time I would procrastinate even doing marketing, so if I’m not procrastinating doing my marketing, that’s a win for me, even if it does cut into some writing time today. Hopefully I can make up for it tomorrow and Monday.

***

I wanted to get more done than I did today, but I had a hard time focusing for some reason, and then my IBS started acting up. I hope I can get more done tomorrow.


Writing streak: days 225

Regency series:

Editing: Time spent: 5 minutes

Writing: Time spent: 1 hour, 52 minutes

Writing: Total number of words: 681 words

Writing-related business:

Regency research reading: time spent: 29 minutes

Email: time spent: 10 minutes

Marketing: time spent: 1 hour, 34 minutes

My takeaway for today: If I spend too long on marketing one day, just skip marketing the next day to make up for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 91: Evaluation 3