Day 362: Re-reading series synopses

I’m still reading through the Snowflake step 6 extended synopses for the other books in the series and taking notes, and I found quite a few loose threads I had forgotten to close off. Some things hadn’t been obvious loose threads when I wrote the synopses, but they changed after I wrote the first 3 books and small events changed slightly.

I’m starting to think that maybe it would be a good idea for me to do this same sort of reviewing of the synopses of the other books in the series each time after I finish a book, just to adjust things and make sure all the events are lining up. It’s also a good chance to catch any continuity errors that may arise due to changes in the series storyline that occur after I write each book.

I finished reading the synopses for all 10 books in the series, but now I need to read the synopsis for the side novel, which actually is looking like it’ll be super long and might end up being two or even three novels instead of just one. I actually really hope it’s only two novels and not three, but it will depend on the word count.

If the word count is too long, I might have to cut a book short so that the paperback version won’t be too unwieldy (because who in their right mind would enjoy reading a trade-size paperback that’s 500 or 600 pages long?). I’m not sure, though, because I could get away with two really long ebooks of 150-200k words each. Maybe I can split it into 4 paperback books if that happens, and just have two slightly altered versions of each cover. I’ll have to write it and see.

Right now, I’m planning on writing the side novel after finishing writing book 8 and before writing book 9 in the Regency series. Or maybe I should write it after book 7, since book 8 ends on a really awful cliffhanger and I’d hate to have too long a time before book 9 comes out.

I got only 3.5 hours of work done before feeling tired. I think it’s because I didn’t get a very good sleep last night and didn’t sleep for very long, and this is after coming off of a couple days of feeling sick. So I’m going to stop here and pick things up again on Monday.

Outlining: time spent: 0

Blocking: time spent: 0

Editing: Time spent: 3 hours, 33 minutes

Writing: Time spent: 0

Writing: Total number of words: n/a

Writing: Overall writing speed: n/a

Time spent doing other writing-related business: 1 hour, 9 minutes

My takeaway for today: I should review all the synopses for the other books in the series each time after I finish writing a book, to make sure the events are lining up properly and catch any continuity errors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 91: Evaluation 3