Day 845: Dictation, day 35

There’s something about Saturdays that makes me want to slow down. I got up a bit late, and then I spent too long reading during lunch. I had some family stuff and house chores to do also, but just when I was about to start work, my IBS got really bad. I had to take medication and wait for it to kick in.

So I'm starting writing today little bit late. I did get some of my frogs done earlier when my IBS was bothering me a bit, so did get some writing related work done today. But I'm hoping that I can dictate a little bit more and get some more words done.

My dictation has been very slow the past couple days, probably because I hadn't done dictation in a couple weeks. In order to battle my procrastination, and also to get more used to dictation, I want to try to do dictation even on days when I only have to do the bare minimum. Hopefully I won't have too many full sick days after this, but even if I do, hopefully I can get at least five minutes of dictation done during a time when the IBS is not so bad.

Once again, I'm not doing many dictation exercises before I start writing, because I'm starting so late, and I want to be sure that I have enough time to get some writing done. However, I will try to be able to think in full sentences so that my dictation is smoother. I will also try not to edit myself so much, and to just say the first thing that comes to mind. I want to improve my dictation speed so that I can write more words each day.

The more I read about how to write with dictation, the more it seems like a lot of it is vomit writing. But somehow, some people can still dictate quickly and cleanly. I hope to be able to do that. Maybe it also involves vomit writing, but just getting used to doing cleaner vomit writing? I'm not sure. I will focus on dictating more smoothly and quickly, to improve my words per hour speed.

***

I started off dictating in the backyard, but got chased inside by the bugs. I was trying to dictate faster, but I ended up dictating before reading my blocking notes carefully enough, and ended up needing to rewrite some passages. I think I just need to relax and dictate at whatever speed comes out, and be sure to carefully read my blocking notes. I think that if I relax more, the words might come a bit easier. Right now I think I’m a bit uptight since dictation is still pretty new to me, even though I’ve been dictating for over a month now. Other people might take to dictation really easily, but it’s been a battle for me. Hopefully as I practice more, I can also learn to relax so that the writing with flow better.

I had some technical problems when I was trying to transcribe my dictation, so it ended up taking a lot longer than I wanted to. I had dinner and Bible study before I got started on the cleanup editing, and I only finished it a few minutes before midnight, which is much later than I wanted to stay up.

I dictated at about the same speed as yesterday, about 2500 words per hour, which was a bit disappointing. However, I dictated for about 80 minutes and got about 3300 words written. After cleanup editing, it was only 3150 words, but that’s a great word count for today, especially since I wasn’t feeling well this morning. The total time I was writing was 2 hours, 48 minutes, because the cleanup editing actually took a bit longer, since I discovered I needed to add a bit to it.

It’s probably my achievement-based personality, but I really love getting so many words done each day. I hope I can start feeling better soon so that I can get 5000 or 6000 words a day.

Writing streak: 324 days

My takeaway for today: Learn to relax while dictating so that the words flow better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 91: Evaluation 3