Day 139: Blocking is important; refilling the creative well

So as I mentioned yesterday, I've been having focus issues--I sit in front of my computer and stare at the screen and do nothing because I can't focus my thoughts on what to write. I'm not entirely sure why I've been like that, but I don't want to derail my productivity, so I think I just have to push through it.

That said, I'm going to relax a bit as I do my blocking for the other scenes in the novella. I'll put on maybe different mood music than my normal playlist for this series, and maybe put on a different aromatherapy to trigger something different in my head. I don't know if it'll work, but I have to get myself out of this distracted funk.

It's incredibly frustrating to sit and feel so foggy in my brain, and then get nothing done. I tend to enjoy the outlining phase, so I'm not sure why it's so hard for me to focus on something I tend to do well.

Also, I haven't forgotten about my dictation experiment. I'll work on that once this focus thing is more under control.

Yesterday I did some extensive work on my blocking for the scenes in The Gentleman Thief. I'm now really glad I did it. Originally I had been lazy and thought it might save time not to do the blocking since my Snowflake step 6 (extended synopsis) was so detailed, but during the blocking yesterday, I realized I had a time discrepancy and had to rearrange the scenes.

I also have to stop numbering my scenes, because I almost always end up switching things around or deleting a scene or adding one, which screws up my numbering system and I have to redo it for all the files.

***

Okay, so the aromatherapy was almost a disaster. I put in a new scent and it started giving me a headache! I wonder if I'm much more sensitive and reactive to things than I used to be before this whole IBS thing.

Anyway, I noticed right away and switched out the aromatherapy. I hope the headache doesn't get worse.

***

I tried working but I was terribly unfocused again, and I wonder if it might be because I haven't been doing much reading lately. I've been pretty intent on increasing the number of hours I write each day, so I've been slacking on refilling the creative well.

Also, I had random bouts of IBS discomfort at times, which would distract me from working, so that might also be why I couldn't stay focused for long.

Anyway, I did some house chores but I think I'll take some time off to read a little. It might help me be able to get back to writing later in the day today, or I might simply take the rest of the day off.

***

Blocking: Time spent: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Editing: Time spent: 0 minutes
Writing: Time spent: 0
Writing: Total number of words: 0
Writing: Average speed: 0 words per hour
Time spent doing other writing-related business: I forgot to set the timer again before checking email and stuff.

My takeaway for today: Blocking is actually really important and I shouldn't be lazy or slack off on it.

My second takeaway for today: Remember to refill the creative well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 1047 - Reorder tasks or schedule downtime