Day 331: Being distracted

I'm still having IBS issues today, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get done, but I want to work on the Hawaii book again.

***

Why do I keep getting distracted??? Well, I also forgot to set my Pomodoro. But I also might have gotten distracted because I came across something I needed to fix in an earlier chapter, so I went to fix it and moved away from the current chapter I was writing, and that started it all. Maybe I should try not to move out of the document while I'm writing so that I can eliminate those kinds of distractions.

However, one thing I've been doing with this slower writing style is to make sure each word is what I really want it to be, and that means sometimes I need to look up a word in a thesaurus, or I need to do research into something.

I guess I need to do like I did before when I was vomit-writing, and try to leave those things to fix later so that I don't leave the document and get distracted. Either that, or if I do leave the document to look something up, I have to make sure I go straight back to writing and not get sidetracked.

***

Well, I finished the scene, which is great! I also did my best not to leave the document I was working on, although I did have to leave a couple times to check up on something. However, I made a conscious effort to go back to writing and not be sidetracked. I also left more notes for myself than I normally would.

However, the notes I left for self-editing have me worried that it'll make the self-editing more sloppy since I'll have more to do. After all, this writing style was specifically to make sure I'm not sloppy on the self-editing.

However, I don't know how else to prevent distractions. The Pomodoro timer helps to jar me away when I've been distracted, but I'd rather not get to that point in the first place.

Actually, since the timer jars me out of distractions, maybe I could have the timer set for shorter intervals so that I won't waste too much time in distraction if I do get into it.

In thinking about it, I'd rather try to eliminate my tendency toward distraction rather than increase my self-editing load. I have to be more mindful every time I leave my document to look something up, so that I don't fall down some rabbit hole.

Outlining: time spent: 0

Blocking: time spent: 0

Editing: Time spent: 0

Writing: Time spent: 4 hours, 39 minutes

Writing: Total number of words: 2086 words

Writing: Overall writing speed: 449 words/hour

Time spent doing other writing-related business: 

My takeaway for today: Work harder to not get distracted if I do have to leave my document for some reason.

My second takeaway for today: To prevent me from getting too caught up in distractions, set the Pomodoro timer for shorter intervals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 91: Evaluation 3