Day 808: Dictation, day 21

I wanted to do my editing first again today, before I did my other frogs, but I found that I had to check social media today. I had sent a newsletter last night, and I wanted to respond to any comments I might have received.

The problem with social media is ME. I had forgotten to set a timer, and I ended up spending almost an hour on social media.

At the same time, I started feeling anxious because there were so many notifications I had to check. I know that many authors say that social media is essential for forming a connection with readers, but it's extremely stressful for me. Facebook especially seems to have so much going on, and I quickly feel overwhelmed.

I began posting on Goodreads again, because I enjoy that much more and it’s much more slow-paced than Facebook. However, I still feel a bit overwhelmed because honestly, I haven't had much time for reading since I've been spending more time writing.

I'm also anxious because I don't really know how to market on social media, especially Goodreads. I realize I probably just need to listen to some podcasts or read some articles about it.

I also realized that I needed to check my email today because I had not checked it yesterday. However, email took almost an hour also because I hadn't checked it yesterday and there were a lot of messages.

As a result, I wasn't able to start my editing until after lunch. However, I edited all the way up until dinner, and I did some editing after dinner also. I managed to get a considerable amount done, although it will probably take me at least one or two more days to finish the book.

I was tempted to simply type hundred words in my manuscript and call it a day, but I remembered about blogging yesterday about needing to do dictation exercises every day, so I pulled out my digital recorder for a freewriting dictation exercise.

Maybe because it's the end of the day, and my brain is a little tired, but it's more difficult for me to dictate. I have more periods of silence, and it's harder to think.

However, I decided to do a five-minute dictation exercise anyway, using my Regency side novel for the prompt. But the dictation exercise today was terrible. Maybe because it's later in the day, but I paused a lot and made a lot of mistakes. I'm not even certain if I can keep any of the dictation I did on my Regency side novel. Even though it's just an exercise, sometimes I can take the dictation and still use it for my book, but I'm not sure if I can do that this time.

I'm very disappointed in myself, but then again I also think that it was a bad idea to do dictation late at night. Tomorrow, I should try to do the dictation exercises earlier, so that I don't have this problem of being too tired to be able to do it.

Anyway, I ended up doing my writing on book 5 of my series via typing because I was so out of it that I actually forgot to do 5 minutes of dictation on my book after finishing the dictation exercises. But I was also so disappointed at my dictation today that I think it was better for me just to type 100 words rather than doing something I know would have frustrated me.

Writing streak: 287 days

My takeaway for today: Do dictation earlier in the day because later, you’re just too tired, and dictation is something that takes up too much energy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 91: Evaluation 3