Day 634: Motivation was awful today

My motivation to work has been terrible today, and it’s frustrating that I really don’t know why. I did have some IBS discomfort earlier, and so I waited a little while until I felt better, then got some writing done.

But ever since lunch, I’ve been feeling terribly lazy and unmotivated. But I have to force myself to get work done. After all, if I don’t write, I don’t get paid.

To give myself a kick in the pants, I started a 700 word count monster on 4thewords with a 3.5 hour time limit so that I’ll have to write at least 700 words to beat the monster. On days like this, I’m so thankful for 4thewords as an external source of motivation. It helps that it’s something I can’t cheat at.

It’s a bit embarrassing to admit how lazy I can be. However, confessing it in my blog post does spur me to do work so that I’m not a total loser.

***

I did spend more time working, but I didn’t feel like I got a lot of work done. I was really distracted, my mind kept wandering, and I kept having to pull my attention back to my book. :(

What can I do to improve my focus? Maybe I need to read Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World again to refresh my memory about focused concentration. I might just need to practice it more often to get better at it.

Regency series:

Editing: Time spent: 5 minutes

Writing: Time spent: 32 minutes

Writing: Total number of words: 478 words

Writing streak: 113 days

Blocking: time spent: 2 hours, 10 minutes

Blocking streak: 107 days

Hawaii series:

Outlining: time spent: 1 hour, 2 minutes

My takeaway for today: Reread the book Deep Work to refresh my memory on how to focus when I’m distracted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 91: Evaluation 3