Day 772: Writing before marketing?

I was actually feeling much better today, health-wise—my IBS wasn’t bothering me very much at all, for once.

However, for some reason I also spent longer than normal doing both my Japanese and my marketing work before I started on my writing work for the day, so I didn’t have as much time to write before I had to start on dinner.

I have such a love-hate relationship with marketing work—I will often procrastinate before doing it, especially if there are  a lot of marketing tasks to do, but sometimes when I’m in the midst of it, I’m focusing really intently and end up spending more time on it than I had planned. I only intended to do about 30 minutes of marketing work today, but it extended into almost an hour and a half.

It was all marketing work that needed to be done eventually, so it wasn’t exactly wasted time. But I do feel a bit guilty that I was so late in starting on my writing work, especially since I was feeling better today and had been hoping to get at least 3 hours of writing done.

I also didn’t get as much written today because I came across a logic hole in the scene I was writing. I hate it when that happens! It always takes me so long to figure out how to dig myself out of it. I wrote a couple hundred words, then decided to trash it. Then I wrote another couple hundred words and didn’t use them, either. Finally I did some free writing and decided how I’m going to handle the scene, and ended up splicing the two pieces of writing together.

I think what I will try doing tomorrow is to leave my marketing work for after my writing. I originally decided to do my marketing work first, before my writing, because in the past, I’ve been so tired at the end of the day that I simply didn’t do it. But lately I haven’t had as many problems making myself do it, and I’ve been taking a long time to do my marketing work.

Also, I have lately made my marketing a bit easier to figure out what to do because I split it up into small chunks and then listed the small chunks all on a list, so it’s easy to see what needs to be done and then check it off as I do it.

So, I’ll try an experiment and try doing my marketing after my writing for a few days. If I end up slipping back to my old habits and not getting the marketing done at all because I’m leaving it for later, then I’ll go back to doing it before my writing, but I’m hoping that the new marketing checklist will make it easier to make myself do my marketing at the end of my work day, even if I’m a little tired.

Writing streak: 251 days

Regency series:

Editing: Time spent: 3 minutes

Writing: Time spent: 1 hour, 51 minutes

Writing: Total number of words: 884 words

Writing-related business:

Regency research reading: time spent: 38 minutes

Email: time spent: 6 minutes

Marketing: time spent: 1 hour, 23 minutes

My takeaway for today: Try doing my marketing work after my writing each day, since my marketing has been taking longer recently. See if the marketing checklist I made makes it easier for me to get myself to do the marketing at the end of my writing day, even when I’m a little tired.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 91: Evaluation 3