Day 777: New scheduling experiment is a fail

I was still trying my scheduling experiment where I try to put off my marketing work to after my writing work. The reason why is because the writing is more important than my marketing, and I wanted to try to get maximum time on my writing before working on the marketing.

However, today, like the few days I tried it last week, I’ve barely been able to get to my marketing at the end of the day, and one day I didn’t do it at all. While skipping a couple days a week of marketing isn’t going to kill me, and the writing is definitely more important, the marketing is still an important part of my writing business and I can’t not do it at all.

Today for once, my schedule lined up exactly how I planned. I even had minimal IBS pain today. However, because I had exercise and also several house chores to do, I didn’t start my “frogs" until around 10 am. And lunch took longer than just an hour because I had more house chores to do after lunch. So even though my schedule lined up today the way it should have, I still didn’t have all that many hours in which to get work done.

I realize that I just have too many non-writing things to do each day to have a regular 8-hour workday. There are things that absolutely have to be done each day around the house, and they’re my responsibility since I’m the one staying at home to work.

If I happen to not have as many house chores to do, I’ll probably have more hours in which to do my writing work. However, I’m realizing that I can’t count on that—some days will simply be busier around the house than others. It doesn’t help that I slacked off on some of the non-urgent house chores when I had IBS issues, and now I’m trying to get them done.

Today I got almost 3 hours of writing work done today, which I realize was actually pretty good. I was able to stop writing around 5 pm and I was planning to get some marketing work done before dinner, but I ended up needing to use that time for some other house chores that came up. After dinner, I was dead tired and didn’t get to my marketing work after all.

So all that to say, I’ll go back to doing my marketing work before my writing, because otherwise I simply can’t trust myself to get it done at all. I was worried it would be like that, and it turns out I was right to worry.

Writing streak: 256 days

Regency series:

Editing: Time spent: 4 minutes

Writing: Time spent: 2 hours, 43 minutes

Writing: Total number of words: 2388 words

Writing-related business:

Regency research reading: time spent: 38 minutes

Email: time spent: 28 minutes

Marketing: time spent: 0

My takeaway for today: I need to do my marketing as part of my “frogs” before I start writing work, because otherwise I simply won’t get it done at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 91: Evaluation 3