Day 100: Fixed a plot hole

It's the 100th day since I started this writing diary! I did skip a few days, but on a whole I've kept up writing this diary almost every day.

Alas, I have nothing special planned for my 100th day. It was another day of writing.

I'm still using 4thewords.com and I worked on blocking for the last climactic scene in volume 2. I was hoping to finish that today, but as I was working on it, I discovered a rather large plot hole.

It went along the lines of, "Okay, now I need the villain to do this to this guy … Wait, when did this guy get here? Just now? Why wouldn't he have entered the scene sooner? Does he actually have a good reason why he didn't arrive sooner? But if he does enter the scene earlier, then when that happens, why didn't he get involved? And if he gets involved, that would completely ruin that other thing that happens! Aaaarrrghh!!!"

As I mentioned yesterday, I've been able to be more focused when it comes to outlining if I do the work in 4thewords, so I immediately started freewriting to try to brainstorm a solution to the problem. I think I did come up with a solution, but it took a couple hours.

And I'm still not done blocking the entire scene! That's kind of annoying.

I thought about stopping the blocking work and doing the writing for a little while, then getting back to the blocking when I reach the part of the synopsis that I don't have blocking done. However, I remembered that my brain doesn't do well when I switch projects, and it would probably be hard to mentally switch gears back to the manuscript, and then after that back to the blocking. Plus I might forget all the things I've figured in the scene. So I decided to stick with the blocking until the entire long scene is done.

So sadly, I didn't get any manuscript words done, which is rather frustrating for me. Also, I spent way too much time blogging. I really have to figure out how to cut that down.

On the plus side, I did figure out that plot problem I had, although it took a few hours. I came up with a few scenarios and then tried writing them out in the synopsis to see how it worked. If it didn't work, I went back to another possible solution, and tried writing the synopsis around that other option.

I had to try out 3 or 4 different scenarios, but I finally decided to have that guy come into the scene sooner. However, I gave him a job to do that kept him occupied while a certain other thing was happening, and then when another thing occurred, he was right there so the villain could do that to him. Somehow that all sounds slightly lewd but I promise it's only a battle scene.

Maybe I can finish blocking tomorrow? I hope so! This volume is so close to being done!

Time spent writing: 3 hours, 21 minutes
Total number of words: 0 words
Average writing speed: n/a words per hour
Time spent doing other writing-related business: 2 hours, 22 minutes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 91: Evaluation 3