Day 93: Endurance monsters!

I had another great writing day today thanks to 4thewords.com! My average writing speed was almost 1400 words per hour.

I was going to try to do more blocking before I started writing today, but I forgot, so I ended up writing some scenes with only the notes I had when I did Snowflake step 6 (expanded synopsis) on this book.

Tomorrow I have a dentist appointment, so I don’t anticipate a high word count day. In fact, I might be able to get some blocking done while waiting at the dentist’s office, so maybe I can prepare for more writing by doing the blocking ahead of time. When I do blocking for a scene, I’m also doing Snowflake step 8 (scene spreadsheet), so maybe I should combine that in my Toggl time entries.

I discovered a new monster in 4thewords that helped me improve my writing speed! It’s an Endurance monster, and they have monsters that are 3, 5, 15, and 25 minutes long. Instead of a word count goal, you have to write for that amount of time. If your word count per minute gets too low, the monster runs away.

It sounded really difficult, but I wanted to try it since the 25 minute monster was dropping an item I needed for a quest.

It was actually really easy! I started off writing at a slow pace, but I still kept well within the safe range in terms of words per minute. I could have written much slower and still beaten the monster without problems.

I had also read in the forums that you get more EXP (experience points) if you write more words for these Endurance monsters, so I started writing faster and faster. I ended up writing way faster than with the regular monsters.

So I think from now on, I’ll try to include some Endurance monsters. I hope it can help me write a bit faster.

This game is so fun!!! I haven’t had this much fun writing in a really long time!

I was a little surprised when I went to look at my Toggl time report today. I thought I’d written for longer hours than I did, but I did have some house chores I had to do today, and I had a lot of email to answer, so that might be why. I am still hoping to increase my time spent writing to 6 hours a day.

Time spent writing: 3 hours, 43 minutes
Total number of words: 4857 words
Average writing speed: 1396 words per hour
Time spent doing other writing-related business: 2 hours, 26 minutes

My takeaway for today: Endurance monsters can help me increase my writing speed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 91: Evaluation 3