Day 101: STILL blocking

I'm still eating my frogs first thing by doing my exercise and my email first, and my email took only 42 minutes, so that was great.

I really thought I'd finish the blocking today, but I only got mostly done.

The scene had seemed pretty straightforward when I wrote it while doing Snowflake step 6 (expanded synopsis), but when actually blocking it out, most of the time I was going, "Wait, where is this character in the building? If he's there, why doesn't that happen to him? And how does this character get there in order for that to happen? And what door does this other guy come in through? Because if he uses this door, then wouldn't that happen to him? And if these other characters are escaping, why doesn't the villain stop them? And once that happens, how do they get out?" I also had to adjust a fight scene because realistically, the villain wouldn't leave only one guard at the front door.

Yeah, it was a very frustrating time of blocking. It seemed like every time I fixed one logic problem, another came up and I had to solve that, too. I don't necessarily think it's bad for a character to act illogically once in a while, but it bothers me when several different characters act illogically one after the other, especially when their actions go against what their goal for the scene is.

The good news is that I really do think I'm almost done blocking the scene and can probably start work on it soon.

I did have another dentist appointment today, and we spent some time out and about doing errands, so I didn't have as much time to work, but I still managed to get about 4.5 hours (and yet it still wasn't enough to finish blocking the scene!). My IBS also flared up a bit today, which sometimes made it hard to focus on writing. When the IBS got bad, I stopped work and read a book I've been wanting to read for a long time, Sword Oratoria vol. 12, the latest book in one of my favorite light novel series.

I'd like to build up to working 6-7 hours each day, assuming I don't have health issues. I think I'm slowly getting better, especially since I started gamifying the writing using 4thewords.com.

Time spent writing: 4 hours, 37 minutes
Total number of words: 0 words (Like yesterday, I didn’t keep track of the exact number of words I wrote when doing the outlining/characterization)
Average writing speed: n/a
Time spent doing other writing-related business: 42 minutes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 91: Evaluation 3