Day 18: Being antsy and easily distracted

Spent some time today doing writing-related work: checking email, and editing a newsletter for the print release of two of my novellas, Necessary Proof and Unshakeable Pursuit. Now that I think about it, I could have saved the newsletter to do this Sunday, which is probably what I should have done, but it’s too late now, so I’ll try to remember for next time.

I watched some Netflix last night, so hopefully I won’t be quite so antsy and unfocused today while writing, like I was yesterday. I’m continuing work on Snowflake step 6 (expanded synopsis) for volume 4, but since I already finished the spiritual and romantic arcs, hopefully it won’t take too long today. I have to figure out some plot points that I couldn’t solve yesterday.

***

I finished Snowflake step 6 on volume 4! Now on to volume 5!

***

I’m finding myself easily distracted. It’s partly because when I’m brainstorming a problem, I get on my spinning wheel or use my drop spindle while I think (it’s like how you’re able to think more creatively and freely when doing a mindless task like washing dishes or taking a shower). But I got distracted by a problem with the wool I was spinning and went online to google a way to fix it, and that took about 20 minutes or so.

Why do I do that? I should have just left a note for myself do to it later when I took a break from writing. I need to stop being so easily distracted. I wonder if it’s related to the antsy-ness I felt yesterday? I wonder if I still need to spend more time refilling the creative well?

***

I finished Snowflake step 6 on volume 5, but I still have to do the spiritual and romantic arcs. I figured this was a good place to stop, plus I was starting to feel antsy again.

I realized I don’t take regular breaks when I’m writing. I simply take a break when I think about it, which can be 1.5 or 2 hours after I start writing. I wonder if the distraction I felt today would have been nipped in the bud if I’d set a timer and taken regular breaks every hour? I suppose I can try that tomorrow.

Time spent writing: 4 hours, 47 minutes
Time spent doing other writing-related business: 52 minutes

My takeaway for today: I tend not to take regular breaks and often work for long periods. I should try setting a timer to take a break every hour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 91: Evaluation 3