Day 22: Public accountability, standing desk

I’m getting a late start today since I had home chores to do, but my email took less than five minutes since I didn’t have many messages.

While I was walking today, I also realized that since I’m writing this diary as a public blog, I’ve been much more disciplined and productive because of the accountability. Even if no one reads this, it’s still out there in the blogosphere and I don’t want to slack off on my work since I’d have to confess to it in my daily blog entries. I’m really glad that this blog has helped me to work harder and be more productive in finishing my plotting of this series. I hope it will also help me to finish writing the books quickly too.

Also, in blogging about my antsy-ness and distraction, it made me stop and try to figure out why I was feeling that way. If I hadn’t been blogging about it, I might not have even paid attention to the antsy feelings, and I wouldn’t have actively looked for a way to combat it. I’m still trying to figure out how long I need to spend each day in reading or watching Netflix keep the antsy feelings at bay, but at least I know that some time spent in refilling the creative well still allows me to get a good chunk of work done each day without that feeling of being easily distracted.

On Saturday, I finished Snowflake step 6 on volume 6 of my series, and today I’m doing the spiritual and romantic arcs for the same volume.

***

I finished the spiritual and romantic arcs for volume 6 of my series! I was really struggling, but then I prayed and went on my spinning wheel, and praise God! I figured out the spiritual arcs really fast!

For most of today, while I was working, I was easily distracted, but I’m not sure why (this was before I prayed for help). I took a longer break than I wanted because I was distracted and did some retail procrastination for some things I realized I needed for my knitting.

At the start of my writing session, I had a nagging lower back ache—not really painful, just a weakness in my muscles. So I switched to my kotatsu desk, but I had a hard time focusing. I think I might need the pacing I sometimes do when I’m at my standing desk because it helps me to think. Also it’s easier for me to sit at my spinning wheel for a few minutes to brainstorm a problem, and the mindless task of spinning wool into yarn seems to help me brainstorm much better.

So I was again distracted and did more retail procrastination by looking for a back brace to buy on Amazon. But once I did that, I was able to focus better on my work, because I knew I had the brace coming soon. It’s really strange how that suddenly helped me focus and ignore the back pain.

I really started to struggle when I realized that I had forgotten to do the spiritual and romantic arcs for a character who’s introduced in volume 6. He’s more of a minor character, but he plays a larger role later, and originally he had a much larger role in the entire series, before I changed the overarching plot. I was having a hard time brainstorming his spiritual arc and also the spiritual arc of another character, because they affected each other in this volume. So that’s when I prayed and went on my spinning wheel and God answered.

Tomorrow I’m moving on to Snowflake step 6 for volume 7!

Time spent writing: 4 hours, 17 minutes
Time spent doing other writing-related business: 15 minutes

My takeaway for today: Since I’m writing this diary as a public blog, I’ve been much more disciplined and productive because of the accountability.

My second takeaway for today: I seem to write better at my standing desk because I can think better when I pace, and I also brainstorm better when I can sit at my spinning wheel for a few minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 91: Evaluation 3