Day 250: Wasted too much time earlier in the day

I made the mistake of doing some marketing work before I started writing work today, and it put me in a marketing mindset that’s become hard to shake.

I decided to do some editing to start the day. I’m behind on the self-editing work I need to do because I’ve been prioritizing getting words done for the past several work days, so that I keep moving forward on the book. But I don’t want the self-editing to pile up too much.

Also, the editing will hopefully help me to lose the marketing mindset and get back into the writing mindset so that I can get more words done today.

***

After editing, I took a break and got distracted. I spent WAY too long on doing research for some blog posts I was planning for marketing my Hawaii contemporary series. The research was necessary, but I think I should have put it off for later and not have gotten distracted by it in the middle of my writing work.

***

UGH it is really hard for me to focus on my writing! I also think maybe I don’t have enough conflict in the scene, so I might be kind of bored. I think I’ll try to add a little more conflict.

***

I finally gave up. The writing was like pulling teeth. I’m really not sure why—maybe because I wasted so much time earlier, and now I’m trying to write so late? It’s getting close to my bedtime.

Blocking: time spent: 0

Editing: Time spent: 1 hour, 33 minutes

Writing: Time spent: 2 hours, 23 minutes

Writing: Total number of words: 812 words

Writing: Average speed: 650 words per hour

Time spent doing other writing-related business: 5 hours, 3 minutes

My takeaway for today: Writing later in the day seems to be more difficult, so try harder not to be distracted! Do your work earlier!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 91: Evaluation 3