Day 156: More editing

I got edits back from my proofreader (already! You’re a champ, Judy!) and made corrections to The Gentleman Thief.

I also messed around with the compile settings in anticipation of creating the ebook proof for Lady Wynwood’s Spies, volume 1: Archer, since Judy might be done with that soon and I’ll be able to send it to my ARC team.

However, that all took quite a while, and I haven’t gotten work done on my other novels yet today.

Today I start writing volume 3! Except that first I want to do some editing of volume 2 (continuing with the cycling), and then I also have to do blocking for a few scenes of volume 3 before I can start writing them.

***

I got about 3 hours of editing done, but when I switched to volume 3 and started blocking, I had forgotten what had happened at the end of volume 2, and I had to re-read some of my synopsis so that I could block the next scenes in volume 3. It was very mentally jarring to switch from volume 2 to volume 3.

I realized that maybe I need to edit volume 2 before I can start on volume 3, since the books are not stand-alone and flow into each other.

So I am once again thwarted in my attempt to do writing on my manuscript NaNoWriMo. If I can finish editing volume 2 in a few days, then I can hopefully start volume 3 blocking by the start of next week. Editing for volume 1 took 5 days and about an hour of day 6, so if I can just not procrastinate, I can hopefully finish editing volume 2 in good time.

This really just reinforces for me the notion that I have a difficult time switching projects. It’s been hard for me to switch from one project to another. Doing small edits like the proofreader’s corrections isn’t a problem because they take less than an hour to complete, but for larger things like self-editing the entire completed manuscript, or blocking/writing a new manuscript, I need my head completely in the game, including knowing exactly where I am in the story. Switching even just to a different point in the timeline is too difficult for me to do quickly.

I know some authors who have no problems switching projects. Maybe it’s a mark of getting old that I can’t remember what I just wrote! LOL

It’s not that late, but my IBS is getting uncomfortable so I think I’ll stop for today.

Editing: Time spent: 3 hours, 03 minutes
Writing: Time spent: 0 minutes
Time spent doing other writing-related business: 3 hours, 34 minutes

My takeaway for today: I need to work on one project at a time, which means I need to finish edits for volume 2 before work on volume 3.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 91: Evaluation 3