Day 174: Disappointed with Traveler

I got a late start today because I was distracted by my game while I was in the bathroom! UGH! I also had to check email because there were some urgent things I needed to take care of.

However, I'm ready to start writing now. Yesterday I had thought it might be better to do all the blocking first, but I admit I want to win NaNoWriMo which means I need another 30k words in the next week. So I'll start off with writing instead. I'll aim for 3500 words, and then I'll work on blocking and editing.

I thought about doing the editing before my writing, since I seem to segue into the writing a little easier when I edit first, but I also was getting tired later in the day, and the writing is more important than the editing at this point, even though I loathe the self-editing when I have a lot of it to do.

If I'm lucky today, I'll get my 3500 words in, and then block another chapter (which tends to be 3000-4000 words each). After that, I'll work on the editing until I get too tired.

***

I'm not sure why, but my brain feel sluggish today. Even though I wrote on my Freewrite Traveler, my writing speed was terribly slow. I wonder if I should switch to writing in 4thewords.com so that I'll have a time pressure?

Well, I'll try writing on the Traveler a little more and see how I feel. I think that instead of using the Traveler keyboard, I will hook up my gaming keyboard and try that again. I only used it for a few minutes the last time I tried it, so I'll try it for longer this time.

***

It’s actually more ergonomic to use my gaming keyboard with the Traveler, because I can put the keyboard on my lap and look up at the Traveler screen on the table.

However, the Traveler does not use the activity on the screen to determine if someone is using it--it uses the activity on the keyboard. So if I don’t touch a key on the Traveler keyboard every so often, it will go to sleep!

Overall, I'm rather disappointed in the Traveler. The lag between typing and seeing the word on the screen is too long because I type fast. I could slow down, but then that will be how I have to write on my Alphasmart (which does not have N-key rollover), in which case I would prefer the Alphasmart's LCD display screen.

The one thing I really like about the Traveler is the wifi connection that automatically saves your work to Postbox, which can be synced with other cloud services like Dropbox. That part is fabulous.

But the typing experience isn't very enjoyable because of the lag. The scissor-switch keys are actually quite nice, but I still prefer my gaming keyboard.

I didn't get much writing done, before dinner, and now that I've gone back to try to get more work done, I'm just not enjoying using the Traveler, so I think I'll switch back to writing in 4thewords, which is more enjoyable for me. I can use my gaming keyboard, and I'm getting kind of tired so I don't really care about how slow I'll be writing.

***

I got another 90 minutes of writing done after dinner, and my writing pace wasn't too bad--about 1100 words per hour--but now I'm too tired to keep working so I'll go to bed. I didn't get any blocking or editing done today! Ugh! I've got to do better!

According to my time and word logs, my writing speed on my Alphasmart was always a bit faster than when I used my computer, but that hasn't necessarily been the case with my Traveler, maybe because I don't like the typing experience. I wonder if I should go back to my Alphasmart?

However, when I was using my gaming keyboard with my iPad, I didn't think I was doing much editing as I went. I simply couldn't think of anything to write, which was why my writing speed was a little slow. If I can get myself to not edit as I go, using my gaming keyboard would be more ideal for my hands.

Maybe I should try the Alphasmart for a little while tomorrow, just to see how I do. And then I can compare it to when I use my gaming keyboard on another day.

I think I will work tomorrow even though it's Sunday because I want to try to win NaNoWriMo.

Blocking: time spent: 0
Editing: Time spent: 0
Writing: Time spent: 3 hours, 24 minutes
Writing: Total number of words: 3378 words
Writing: Average speed: 1111 words per hour
Time spent doing other writing-related business: 50 minutes (but I also forgot to set Toggl when I checked my email a few times today)

My takeaway for today: Compare the Alphasmart with my gaming keyboard/iPad combo to see how they compare to each other. I might be able to use my gaming keyboard if I can stop editing as I go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 91: Evaluation 3