Day 166: Task inertia?

I got some writing done! Actually I did some editing of what I wrote yesterday, then started writing. But either my blocking notes were out of order, or I wasn’t following them properly, but I found I wrote some parts of the scene that should have been later, and there were things I needed to add earlier.

I was writing on my Freewrite Traveler, so going back to insert the pieces earlier in the scene was not going to happen since it’s not made for that kind of stuff.

Technically I shouldn’t edit as I write, but the scene was such a mess and I didn’t know how to continue when it was like that, so I decided to move the writing back to my computer and edit as I go for most of the rest of the scene. I had to add some pieces in at earlier points in order to make it make sense, but now I think it’s fixed.

Also, because I was writing in 4thewords.com, I had a couple hundred words to finish off a monster, so I ended up doing a few minutes of blocking a scene, too.

***

I was trying to get more writing done, but it’s really hard. I wonder if it’s because I haven’t written prose consistently for a couple weeks? I had to edit volumes 1 and 2, plus I had to do some blocking for volume 3 before I could start. The writing today feels rusty and difficult.

I’m amazed that just that short time of not writing seems to do this! I wonder if I’m really that sensitive to task inertia? Maybe I really do need to write some sort of prose every day, no matter what it is.

I also wasted a couple hours online, which drives me nuts because I don’t usually spend that much time on social media, but I seem to do that more when I’m writing! What is wrong with me??!!

Then I had some home chores to do, which took a little time.

So I just didn’t get much done later in the day. While I did write today, overall I’m disappointed in myself.

I need to try to focus more!

Blocking: time spent: 7 minutes
Editing: Time spent: 1 hour, 23 minutes
Writing: Time spent: 2 hours, 4 minute
Time spent doing other writing-related business: 1 hour, 21 minutes

My takeaway for today: I feel rusty from not writing prose for only a couple weeks. Maybe I really do need to write some prose every day, no matter what it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 91: Evaluation 3