Day 173: Blocking on Traveler

I got up a little late today, and I made the mistake of checking email first! UGH! I'm so easily distracted today! I should have just started writing to get some done early.

I'm ready to start writing now. I'll be working only on the Freewrite Traveler today for writing, to try it out more fully and also to try to write without editing so that I can try to get into flow state.

The problem is that I also need to do some blocking before I start writing because I don't have any scenes blocked. So I was wondering if I should do the blocking on my Traveler or on my computer like normal. Do I need to get into flow state for blocking or should I use the computer so I can edit?

I thought perhaps I could block on Traveler and then afterward, spend time editing it on the computer so it’ll be easier to read. I don't think I've ever tried that, so I guess I can try it for a few scenes. If it causes too many logic issues that pop up while writing, then I’ll know it’s not a good method.

***

I worked for a few hours on blocking, and doing it on the Traveler wasn't bad. However editing my blocking later was a huge pain, since I wasn't able to edit on the Traveler and I had ended up changing a bunch of stuff after I reached the end of the scene and realized I had a plot hole. Copying and pasting phrases and sentences here and there was just really messy, and I had to keep double checking that I hadn't forgotten to cut and paste something, and that I was cutting and pasting the correct parts to the correct places. Super tedious and a rather stressful.

So I think I'll do the blocking on my computer from now on, just to save myself the hassle of that kind of editing again. I'm not very good with editing to begin with, so creating more tricky editing work for me to do probably isn't a smart way of doing things.

I had thought I'd do blocking just before each scene, then write the scene, then move on to blocking the next scene. However, after doing the blocking today, I kind of want to do all the blocking first, especially since I found that plot hole which also required me to change what I wrote three days ago (so I had to spend some time editing that scene to fix it).

So I'm probably going to be blocking for the next several days rather than writing. That's rather disappointing, but I want to avoid plot holes (and revising) like today. I wonder if I'll be able to still write 50k on my manuscript for NaNoWriMo?

Even though I'm going to focus on the blocking, I wonder if I should try to still do a little writing everyday. I remember I wrote in my writing blog a week ago that the writing felt really rusty because I hadn't been writing prose for a couple weeks while I edited volumes 1 and 2, did some self-publishing work, and then blocked the first scene or two of volume 3.

So while it's dinnertime now, I think what I'll try to do is about 30 minutes of writing prose after dinner, on my Traveler. 30 minutes is doable, and I just finished blocking three scenes today, so I have plenty of blocking notes to follow.

I also haven't edited the scenes I wrote yesterday, so I'll try to do some of that, too, so I don't fall behind. I don't want a huge amount of self-editing that I'll have to slog through later.

***

I ended up writing a little less than half an hour, and I didn't edit at all. I got some reading done, but I should remember that I often stay up too late when I'm reading a good book! Ugh!

Blocking: time spent: 5 hours, 2 minutes
Editing: Time spent: 9 minutes
Writing: Time spent: 24 minutes
Writing: Total number of words: 445 words
Writing: Average speed: 1027 words per hour
Time spent doing other writing-related business: 2 hours, 23 minutes

My takeaway for today: Blocking on Traveler doesn't work well because editing later is a mess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 91: Evaluation 3