Day 37: Marketing stress

Today I’m still working on the characterization for my serial novel. I got some work done earlier this morning, but then I started feeling overwhelmed and stressed about the thought of all the advance marketing I will need to start doing.

Luckily, I had arranged to call an author friend of mine, MaryLu Tyndall, in order to ask some advice about target audience. She heard all my fears and stressing about marketing and talked me down from the rafters.

She reminded me that God is in control of my marketing and book sales, and I should pray and do only the marketing I feel God telling me to do. It was such a balm to my spirit to hear her say that. The purpose God gave to me was to write these books so He could draw people closer to Jesus, and He wouldn’t want me being distracted by marketing efforts I don’t necessarily need to do.

So now I’m back at work, feeling calmer and more able to focus. I’m really glad I called her. Otherwise, I think I’d be too stressed and distracted to get much done.

***

I ended up spending a lot of time prepping for dinner today. While my husband does need to eat, I’m still a bit frustrated that it cut into my writing time.

I’m also frustrated that even though I have a couple hours before I have to start cooking dinner, my brain has shut down and I’ve been staring at the screen in a daze. Maybe all the stress over marketing wore me out? Today, I did make some progress in my characterization for the serial novel, but I think it’s time to pour myself a glass of wine and read a book. I’ll pick up again with the characterization tomorrow.

Time spent writing: 5 hours, 9 minutes
Time spent doing other writing-related business: 2 hours, 41 minutes (this includes an hour of reading marketing books and also 90 minutes of talking with MaryLu)

My takeaway for today: God is in control of my marketing and book sales, and I should pray and do only the marketing I feel God telling me to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 91: Evaluation 3