Day 51: New blog template and procrastination

I chose a new blog template today! And … it took up about 15-20 minutes, so it was pure procrastination. These bouts of procrastination just sneak up on me at random times. I guess that means I’m not really focusing hard enough on the task at hand, if I can be distracted by thoughts about my blog template.

I also wrote some blog posts today, so it seems like I spent a lot of time on marketing work as opposed to my novel. I’m not sure what to do about that since my blog is part of my marketing strategy and so I need to spend time on it, but I also don’t want it to cut too much into my fiction writing time.

My house chores today also took longer than usual, not because I had a lot to do, but just because I was moving slowly this morning.

So I’m starting a little later than I wanted to, but I’m continuing Snowflake step 6 (expanded synopsis) for the serial novel.

***

It seems like a lot of my posts recently have been about my health derailing me, and today was no exception. I started getting a sinus headache because of my allergies, and while medication kept it from getting too bad, it’s starting to bother me now, so I’m going to stop work before it grows into a full-blown migraine.

But it’s already getting close to bedtime, so I would have stopped in another hour or so. I feel like I could have been more productive today, but the procrastination seemed to set the tone for the rest of my day.

I think tomorrow I’ll try to shake it up and do just a little bit of writing work before I do my non-writing work. I usually do non-writing work first, because otherwise the thought of it tends to nag at me while I’m writing, which can be too distracting. But I’ve been so distracted lately, I thought maybe I need to change up my routine a bit to see if that helps me to focus better. (I hope I remember to do this tomorrow! I’m liable to forget I want to try to change up my routine.)

Mini-scenes plotted so far: 51
Time spent writing: 5 hours
Time spent doing other writing-related business: 3 hours, 8 minutes

My takeaway for today: I haven’t been focusing lately, so maybe changing up my writer’s routine a bit will help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21: Bullet journal, Surrender statement

Day 783: Evaluation 7

Day 91: Evaluation 3